After searching high and low and trying many muffin recipes, I was able to craft my own mini-muffin recipe that is whole 30 compliant and an excellent breakfast for baby.
We are coconut lovers at the Eaton residence, so forgive me if you are not so inclined. Coconut is such a polarizing fruit; people seem to love it or hate it. I love it and try to add it to as many of our paleo recipes as possible. Does anyone remember the mocha coconut or the banana chocolate chip frappuccinos Starbucks made back in 2005? (I was a barista in my previous life!) Those frappucinos were so delicious. The mocha coconut came with toasted coconut flakes sprinkled on top! When I was behind the bar, I would mix the two and make a banana-mocha-coconut frappuccino. These mini-muffins are reminiscent of that. Admittedly, they're a far cry from the sugary deliciousness that is a frappucino. The essentials are the same, though, and I don't feel so guilty for eating these little guys or sharing them with my little guy.
- Melted coconut oil or clarified butter
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs (In 2008, the AAP changed their guidelines for introducing egg and other allergy-causing foods into a baby's diet. Of course, following your doctor's advice is always best for your child.)
- ½ cup sugar free applesauce
- ¼ cup of coconut flakes
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons 100% cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin tin or 24 cup mini-muffin tin using melted coconut oil or clarified butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, salt, baking soda and cacao powder.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together with a fork the eggs, applesauce, coconut flakes and mashed bananas.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat by hand for about one minute (You can use the hand mixer, on medium speed, but it isn't necessary).
- Spoon batter evenly into your muffin tin cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.